Mar 27, 2020
BS 170 is an interview with
Andreas Nieder, author of "A Brain
for Numbers: The Biology of the Number Instinct." We talk about
the surprising discovery that a wide variety of animals have a
number instinct, which is called the approximate number system.
This appears to provide the basis for the more abstract
mathematical abilities that are seen in humans. We also explore the
relationship between mathematics and language.
Links and References:
Please Visit Our
- In April 2020 Brain Science returns
to a monthly schedule: it return to the 4th Friday of every
- The expanded 2nd Edition of Are You Sure? The Unconscious
Origins of Certainty will be published in late April or early
May. See newsletter below for updates.
- Sign up for the free Brain
Science Newsletter to get show notes
automatically every month.
- To win an Amazon gift certificate: post a review of
Brain Science in iTunes and send me a
- Learn how you can support Brain
Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Check out the free
Brain Science Mobile app for iOS,
Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes
and premium content.)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post
voice feedback at http://speakpipe.com/docartemis.
Connect on Social Media:
Contact Dr. Campbell: